Our Mission: Meals on Wheels provides a network of services that allow seniors to live in their homes with dignity and independence as long as possible.
When we provide nutritious meals and daily safety checks for homebound seniors, we reduce risks associated with loneliness, depression, and falls.
Our programs fulfill a moral and economic imperative to care for seniors in the most cost-effective way possible. Studies show that by keeping seniors in their homes we remove a costly burden on seniors, their families, and the American taxpayers. One 2009 study found that if every state increased the number of older Americans who received meals by just 1 percent, it would have saved Medicaid more than $109 million a year.
WE’RE MORE THAN MEALS. WE PROVIDE THE SUPPORT SENIORS NEED TO STAY IN THEIR OWN HOMES.
- Safety checks: every day
- Nutrition counseling: 1,600 sessions a year
- Social work: home visits and referrals to critical outside services
- Friendly visitors & good neighbors: volunteers reduce isolation and assist with daily needs.
- Home safety and urgent needs: minor home repair, ongoing distribution of grab bars, smoke detectors, microwaves, and refrigerators
- The cost of living in San Francisco is 62% HIGHER than the national average.
- We can provide a senior TWO HOME-DELIVERED MEALS A DAY for an entire year for the same institutional cost as one day in the hospital.
- 67% of Meals on Wheels seniors LIVE ALONE, without the support of family or friends.
- We are the ONLY ORGANIZATION in San Francisco that delivers TWO MEALS a day, 7 DAYS a week that are nutritionally-tailored to meet the dietary needs of seniors.
- 75% of our clients live BELOW the federal poverty line ($970/month).
- We deliver 2 MILLION meals a year to 4,200 homebound seniors in every neighborhood of San Francisco.
- The San Francisco Department of Finance estimates there will be 100,000 MORE SENIORS in San Francisco by 2037 than there are today.
Photos by Maren Caruso